Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Stefan Redl vs Eddie Jordan

My Dad, Stefan fought Eddie Jordan in 3/6/1959 in NYC to a Draw. This was a video Eddie's family gave to my Dad after he ran into him at a boxing convention. Thanks to Mr. Jordan, we now have a great copy of this fight.

(Actually we have 2 copies! This one has the commercials in it and the original announcers. Another copy I have has the commercials edited out and another announcer describing EVERY single swing and punch. I remember my Grandfather, my Mom's Dad, saying how he liked the old commentators as they let you watch the fight and not babble on and on. But in this second copy, the commentator's seem to be broadcasting for radio as it's not stories, theories or opinions they're talking about, but an endless, breathless barrage of descriptions to what your watching. I decided to post this copy, without that commentary and with the commercials of the 50's. Being a cartoonist I was almost as excited to see the old animation as my Dad's fight! So for selfish reasons here is the commercial-riddled Redl vs Jordan fight.)

Of this fight, my Dad said that he thinks he should have won, having "made the fight", by chasing Jordan. (Bear in mind this is a disagreement on styles of fighting. Many would argue Marvelous Marvin Hagler is more exciting to watch than Sugar Ray Leonard because he's the aggressor, constantly pushing the fight. Others would say the flash and dancing of Leonard is more exciting. When there's a close fight with one fighter moving forward and the other moving backward, opinions like this play very much into how the judges score the fight. See what you think...)

Redl vs Jordan:



When my Dad gets a chance, I'll have him review this fight and I'll post his remarks!

Special thanks to Mr. Jordan and the Jordan family! Part of the purpose of this blog is to connect with fighters my Dad fought who might have a copy of a fight or two!

1 comment:

Eddie said...

Hi This is Ed Jordan Jr I sent Both Those Tapes to your dad And you are correct The Original Sound Track, the TV Sound had less comments and was from The Original Broadcast From NBC. The other more descriptive Sound Track Was HOF Announcer Don Dunphy, It was the Radio Broadcast coast to coast...Just Thought you Might Like to Know You Were Right.. Thanks Ed Jordan Jr....Best to you and your family.